Friday, July 3, 2009

Newsletter from SW WA

Newsletter 5
…and so I leave Wiluna with mixed thoughts: I’ve had a most incredible time; I look forward to the south west of WA; I wish I could stay to help and to continue to enjoy; I’ve been away from my home and family for ages and I miss them all.
Marce and the children met me at Skipper’s air port; how excited the littlies were, it was marvelous to see them again. Bailey proudly lent me her pretty bedroom and we settled into a young family’s domestic bliss. I really enjoyed myself and I very much admire Marce and Al for all their love and hard work, it is NOT easy.
Hearing that two of the Wiluna artists had been taken to Royal Perth hospital, Marcie kindly took me to town so I could visit Sheila Yakka Jones and Nyapurla Morgan. Sheila is diabetic and her trip to hospital was for an organised treatment, but Nyapurla was flown down by the Flying Doctor with pneumonia! Heather and I had been upset to hear about this because we were so worried about her condition on the trip, we took her to the Warakurna Health Centre where she was carefully checked over by a nurse and again be a doctor. At that time, she did not have pneumonia, but we really tried to care well for her in the ensuing days of our Desert Art Tour.
Coincidentally, I met Sheila in the foyer of the hospital; she was visited by young family and she was off on a walk. How surprised she was to hear I had come to visit her! I gave her a copy of the photo of us all at Laverton, standing as a group by the bus. Knowing she is so on the ball and obviously well looked after by family, I went on up to find Nyapurla – she cried! … totally surprised by a visit from anyone, least of all me. She is one of our (Heather and my) favourites. She is a very cheerful lady and she hugs those she likes and shows emotion – unlike many of the other indigenous people we know. She even hugged Basil Hall! Now that is most unusual, for an indigenous lady to hug a white man. We love her. I sat with her for some time and she insisted I display her photo of the Desert Art Tour group on the wall next to her bed. She was very proud when I told her room mates and nurses that she is one of the best artists in Wiluna. Although she asked me for money, I said I was not able to. Not knowing what the future held for her visit, I paid for two days of television for her and I included in our conversation the lady opposite who was able to translate for her a bit with nurses – Nyapurla has a different language from the usual Martu people of the area round Wiluna. This lady, who lives in Karatha, had known a man in Leonora who spoke the same language. I hoped that she would be good company for Nyapurla in hospital.
That afternoon I had the opportunity to babysit Bailey and Baxter and Judy came over too. We walked to a great pizza place to collect a take away which we enjoyed before Judy drove back to her hostel for the first time at night. On Friday, after her treatment, Judy collected me and we had lunch with Bailey and the kids at a nice café before setting off for Bunbury for the weekend. The weather was appalling and every time Judy said to watch out for something special, a squall flew through and all we could see was the water logged windscreen and the dim tail lights of the car ahead. Therefore, at that time, I missed the views from the bridges at Mandura and the wonderful sand dunes at Australind; but I saw them on the Monday when I went back to Al and Marcie’s with Judy to collect the art works that I had left at their house!!!! Take two! I bussed to Bunbury on Monday evening and Russell collected me from the bus port.
We had a lovely weekend, shopping (I recovered from my lack of retail therapy that day!) in the very pretty little town with Judy while Russell worked on Saturday; a great dinner at a special restaurant that night; then a Sunday drive that included lunch at Capel Vale Winery and a walk on Peppermint Cove Beach where the WA Grays all spent Easter. Very nice.
On Tuesday I bussed to Busselton and was met by Rosemary MacPherson whom I had met at Wiluna when she camped in Heather’s driveway with Kaye and Graham Swiney in August last year. I was in “hog heaven”; Rosemary has a lovely home and garden that she has built in less than four years. Her art collection is exciting and after working two days each week, Rosemary attends art classes and creates great art works. I am inspired by her experimentation and was delighted by her company. Her lovely dog, Dougie, was a great companion and helped me recover from missing Byron so much. Our last activity together was a folding book with watercolour washes that I will detail when I am at home. What fun!
On Thursday, Kaye and Graham collected us for a drive to Knee Deep Winery and Restaurant where we enjoyed a delicious luncheon. Graham is a font of information and a great story teller, what wonderful hosts they were over those few days – I felt so relaxed and welcome. My map of the area from Busselton to Augusta is now covered with red lines showing all the beautiful places Graham took us to and I took many, many photos! Finally, we all met up again in a great little café for lunch and a quick whip through a local gallery before they waved me off on the Saturday bus to Perth.
My flight from Perth was at a civilized hour and I was greeted by gorgeous Allison at the airport. She has looked after the house and Byron all this time and I am most grateful. She had prepared pumpkin soup and after tea and lots of excited chat, she left, allowing me to enjoy my first night at home.
What an adventure! Love to all
Susie.

No comments:

Post a Comment